Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Nokia 5800 with Software version v 31.2.101




I have had my Nokia 5800 Express music phone for about 2 months now. It came with firmware version 21.x.x (I can't remember). I updated to v 31.2.101 and I like the upgrade. The icons on the Home screen are a little larger now. I had it set on 'Shortcuts bar' Before the upgrade (btu)  and it remembered most of the settings I had. The first two icons in the bar were changed and the second two are the same from btu. It was easy to correct this change using the same menu location as before. The keypad and contacts icons are also slightly larger now. The keypad still does not have letters on each number key, so disappointing. If i want to call 555-FOOD I still have to blindly figure out what letters correspond to what number.

The first day After the upgrade (atu) the battery ran down about 50% which was typical discharge btu so I charged the phone that night. Right now the battery meter still has six bars, meaning almost full charge and it ran all day yesterday and it is noon right now. That is impressive for the battery if it keeps that up.  Yesterday I spent at least 40 minutes combined on calls and today probably 10. I did not have to use the phone at all for the battery meter to go down before.

Another change I noticed is the Maps app. When I opened the app atu the first message was that my 30 day trial of the Navigation service that came with my phone was started. I cannot remember the exact words now, but it was something like " 30 day trial activated" with two buttons on the bottom, 'OK' and 'Back', I think. My point is that it started the trial without me telling it to or even being aware it was going to happen. Obviously this is of no use to me as I am not in the USA and will not able to try out the feature, what a waste. It said the old map data could not be used and asked if I wanted to delete it, and I agreed. When it did open I see a new layout and different buttons. The '+' and '-' for zoom are now closer to each other and slightly below center left of the screen. There is a compass in the bottom left corner which tries to whow where the phone is pointing, but it usually jumps(spins) about wildly, as if it does not work properly. The gps location is usually spot on, but it still takes at least a full minute to show your location. With buildings around it may not lock on at all, just like btu.

The screen still takes a long pause when u switch between vertical and horizontal, and randomly takes a doubley long pause. The double pause may be when an app is being opened and the screen rotates together, I can only guess. I see a glimse of the Home screen in horizontal mode for a moment when you exit the menu in horizontal mode and go to the Home screen.


1 comment:

  1. the letters-->numbers thing sucks big time but that phone came in real handy in NY...a lot better than saying "look! the Empire State Building! lets go this way" only to realise 10mins later, "um..i think that's farther away than it looks"...

    ReplyDelete