Tuesday, January 9, 2018

How to renew Canadian visa

I recently renewed my Canadian Temporary Resident visa in Trinidad and this is my experience. I did all the work myself and did not need a consultant. This is in no way legal advice and you should not expect the same experience.  Each case is assessed independently. 

My entire application process was done online including paying the immigration fees using a credit card through the same site. I created a GCKEY in order to do this.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/information/applications/visa.asp

About 10 calendar days later I got an email saying I was approved and to bring in my passport to :
Visa Application Centre (VAC) – Trinidad and Tobago
4 Warner Street
(between Woodford Street and Cipriani Blvd)
New Town, Port of Spain
Working Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Phone Number: (868)224-3098
Email Address: tt-info@csc-cvac.com

Applying online requires that you have a decent camera (phone) or scanner as well as some computer skills to be able to compress them if necessary and compile all the images into a single file. It may also be confusing with having to keep track of all the individual documents you would have to create for each piece of evidence requested. There may easily be over a dozen individual files to be created. I did not sign each form that had a space to be signed because after the electronic upload you are asked to digitally sign the submission. The total time I took to compile all documents for electronic submission was approximately 8 hours. This does not include the time taken to request forms from banks, government agencies and employers. Collecting the paper documents may require days or weeks. 

I would encourage people to submit electronically since it would save the trip to Port of Spain to submit documents however you should be aware it may be more difficult to do this if you are not familiar with using a computer and the work required to submit. 

When your passport is requested, you may also avoid going to Port of Spain by using the mail in option, or you can deliver in person. If you choose to delegate someone to deliver the passports for you, the delegate must have a signed consent form (link here) for each person/passport. They accepted a scanned and reprinted copy of the consent form in my case with only page two signed. The form was printed half sized on a sheet of paper, so the four pages of the form fit on both sides of a single sheet of paper.

An important page to review is https://www.csc-cvac.com/en-TT/selfservice/cvac_docs_forms_checklists

Another option I could have taken was to apply when I visited the center or applied completely in paper. 

If you are eventually approved you can arrange for a mail in and mail return option or drop in and collect your passport when you are notified to collect.

There is an additional $25.86 CAD VAC service charge that has to be paid for each applicant/family member. No cash is used at the VAC.


If you are approved, you will get an email similar to this- 
" Your result is ready to be picked up at the VAC.
The following can pick up the package at the VAC:
  1. Client with one piece of original government issued identification and a photocopy;
  2. Designated individual of the client when a Letter of Authorization is on file must present one original piece of government issued identification and a photocopy at time of pick-up;
  3. Designated individual of the client who presents an original Letter of Authorization at the time of pick up must present one piece of original government issued identification and a photocopy and must also present a photocopy of one piece of government issued identification of the client;
  4. Authorized Group Representative must present one piece of government issued identification and a photocopy.
IF YOU INCLUDED A PREPAID RETURN AIR WAYBILL TO GET YOUR RESULT BACK WHEN YOU SUBMITTED YOUR APPLICATION YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO TO THE VAC TO PICK IT UP. IT WILL BE MAILED OUT TO YOU. "

I received my email saying I could collect my passport about 4 hours after I dropped it off. Unfortunately I was not able to return to the office but in my case I dropped it off and was able to collect it on the same day. 

Notes:

Parking is available on Warner street and a couple spots are available in the yard if the gate is opened.  https://goo.gl/maps/QV7FNHDjC412

There is a wheelchair ramp to get into the front door but the pavement is a little steep and there is a bump to get into the front door. The restrooms are located on the ground floor.

I suggest not going very early in the morning because it may be crowded. The same service is available all day. The staff is courteous and helpful.

I called the phone number (868-224-3098) and eventually got to speak to a person who was in a call centre in another country. His hours were american hours, so day light savings hours apply. He could not tell me about parking or any details about the facility.

It was annoying to continuously have to sign back into the GCKEY account if I was inactive for too long and it was confusing at some points for which form specifically was required. Some forms have a similar name such as IMM5257B and IMM5257E and the letter at the end was not always clearly specified. Sometimes I checked by hovering over a link and the form name would show up at the bottom of the browser.



Topics:
How to renew Canadian visa in Port of Spain
Trinidadian renew Canada visa
Canadian visitor's visa expired Trinidad and Tobago passport
Where is visa office Trinidad

No comments:

Post a Comment